Re: lilypond-book

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: lilypond-book
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:22:07 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
Graham Percival writes:
Why do we need to have \lilypond{}, anyway?  I mean, what's
wrong with
\begin{lilypond}
\end{lilypond}

The initial idea (now broken in lilypond-book) was for \lilypond{}
to be a friendly way to get inline notes, without parskip and whatnot.

Typing \lilypond{bes''} is a bit friendlier than
\begin[fragment]{lilypond}
bes''
\end{lilypond}
esp. within a paragraph.

Exactly!

It just seems to me that maintaining \lilypond{} is more trouble than
it's worth.

I think it just broke because of the lilypond-book rewrite, and the
decision to require [fragment] explicitly.

The problem with matching the correct right hand curly brace must be
much older than so.

We get an incompatibility problem both if we change to \verb style
syntax and if we remove the support for \lilypond{...} all together.

What about the lazy solution to simply document the limitation of the
current \lilypond{...} implementation and give the advice to use
\begin{lilypond}...\end{lilypond} for examples that contain curly
braces?

   /Mats