Re: Super duplex

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Super duplex
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:08:58 -0400

    Peter> I'm using LPRng.  I found a reference to "-o page-set=odd" but it
didn't
    Peter> like the -o parameter.  apsfilter recommends -C duplex, but that
    Peter> requires sendmail so it can notify you when it's time to flip the
    Peter> pages... and this is a single-user system without sendmail.  I'm
almost
    Peter> desperate enough to bring up each page in Gimp, save it as a separate
    Peter> file, and print them that way, but I suspect I will lose the high
    Peter> quality resolution if I do it that way.

    Peter> Any suggestions?  I'm thinking a command-line option to lilypond
itself
    Peter> would be great!

There are options to dvips that will do that, but I use the utility
"psselect", which can be downloaded as part of the psutils package. My
makefile has something like:

even:    dowland.ps
         psselect -e -r dowland.ps dowland-even.ps

odd:     dowland.ps
         psselect -o dowland.ps dowland-odd.ps

The -r on the even command line causes the pages to be reversed so
that you print the odd pages first and then the even ones without
having to go backwards.

If it's a one-off thing, so that setting up a makefile is too much
trouble, acroread has similar options for printing pdf files.

The psutils package also has really cool options for producing
booklets and such.  So that if you want to reduce your pages and print
them 4 per sheet so that they can be stapled in the middle as a
booklet, you can do:

         psbook file.ps | psnup -2 -pletter >file-booklet.ps

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139