Adding text above the time signature and at the end of a part

From: James Moore
Subject: Adding text above the time signature and at the end of a part
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:42:00 -0800

Two questions:

1.  How do you add text above the time signature (or somewhere close)?  I've
seen the a4^"This is text" syntax, but I'd like to add text before the first
note.  (The music I'm looking at has things like "Moderately slow", "slow
gospel," "not too slowly" written there.)

2.  How do you add text at the end of a part ("D.C. al coda")?  Probably the
same question as #1.

Thanks,

 - James