Re: volta vs. DS al coda

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: volta vs. DS al coda
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:15:30 +0100

I've never seen a first ending as long as 15 bars, it's probably
better to make up some D.S notation with the same meaning.

   /Mats

Peter B. Steiger wrote:
Mats, I somehow missed your reply last month to my question about how to
use repeats and endings, but I found it yesterday while searching the
archives for more information on the use of the segno and volta markups.
That was just what I needed, and now I know how to use them.

Now my question is, what is the better method for this music I am
typesetting?  The handwritten original looks like this:

one bar of nonrepeated notes and words
|:
13 bars of notes repeated with two stanzas
3 bars of repeated notes using the same words
segno
15 bars of nonrepeated notes and words ("chorus 1")
:|
1 bar of nonrepeated notes and words marked as ending #1
segno
21 bars of nonrepeated notes and words ("chorus 2")

There is no second ending marked, although it obviously starts with the
second segno.  Obviously the original arranger did not understand proper
use of the segno, and my wife tells me that using both segno and voltas
together is redundant.

I tried writing this with just a \volta and two \alternate endings, but
because chorus 1 is so long the result is a horizontal line across 16
bars that spans multiple pages; likewise chorus 2 ends up showing a
horizontal bar across the staff from the beginning of ending 2 to the
end of the song.

Would it make sense notationally to limit the length of the line over
the first and second endings to just a couple of bars with the implicit
understanding that the first ending continues for another 15 bars?  Or
would I be better off scrapping the volta/alternate combination entirely
and just use a D.S. al coda notation?

-------
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY