Re: Who uses Lilypond?

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: Who uses Lilypond?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:49:08 +1100

I do!

I have three main uses for LilyPond.

First, I do a little bit of transcription/arranging/composing. I've just completed a Brass Band arrangement of `The Entertainer' which I found on Mutopia. If anyone's interested, let me know (Lily7pond makes it look great, but can't make it sound any better... should I file a bug report? ;-))

Second, I often have to write out nearly unreadable parts for the brass band I play in. A lot of that music is either extremely old or a tenth generation photocopy. And in days gone by the Bandmaster often used a Solo Cornet part instead of a full score, and the cue notes can make the thing well nigh unreadable. So LilyPond helps my sanity on Tuesday nights.

Third, and slightly off topic, I'm slowly teaching myself Python, and some of the scripts (convert-ly, for example) are good middle size programs for study. One of my aims in life (I really do need to get one..!) is to submit a patch for one of these scripts and have it accepted.

BTW, good thread.

Cameron