Re: Help with \lyricsto and polyphony

From: Alexandre B
Subject: Re: Help with \lyricsto and polyphony
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:59:35 -0500

Le Samedi 11 Décembre 2004 03:15, Joshua Kwan a écrit :
> Hello fellow Lilypond users,
>
> I'm encountering a problem giving lyrics to polyphonic voices.
>
> The soprano line for a song I'm scoring contains:
>
>     << { d4 bf c2 d4 bf c } \\
>     { bf4 f f2 bf4 f f } >>
>     r4
>     << { f' bf, c f, f' } \\
>     { d f, bf d, d' } >>
>
> When I add lyrics, using
>
>         \context Lyrics {
>             \lyricsto "soprano" \new Lyrics \sopranolyrics
>         }

First you should name the notes after a

variable = \context Voice = "voicename" \relative c' {
        notes here
}

After that.. the \lyricsto use "voicename" as a position mapper :)

> The lyrics stop where the polyphony starts. I have been told that this
> is because each polyphonic voice represents a different, anonymous
> voice, and therefore is not processed by \lyricsto at all.
>
> How can I tell Lilypond that (especially because each voice has the
> exact same rhythm) the polyphonic voices should be treated as one when
> processing lyrics?

Would it make a lot of difference to use the chord notation

with whatever ', octaviation required, (note that the octaviation considers
only the first note of each chord), instead of:

<< { d4 bf c2 d4 bf c } \\
        { bf4 f f2 bf4 f f } >>

> Otherwise, what is the best way to name each subvoice? It doesn't make
> intuitive sense to have to name each one.

Try giving it a \context Voice = "name" first.. then send your comments and
results .. so that it helps others looking for similar solutions.

> The full .ly file is here:
> http://triplehelix.org/~joshk/servants-chorus.ly
>
> Thanks,

You're welcome :)