[UPDATED] Help with \lyricsto and polyphony, and reusing lyrics

From: Joshua Kwan
Subject: [UPDATED] Help with \lyricsto and polyphony, and reusing lyrics
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:18:53 -0800

[ Note: I sent an earlier message which I'm not sure made it because I was not yet subscribed to the list, so if you're seeing this for the second time I apologize. I've updated some stuff in the message since I upgraded Lilypond in the meantime to 2.4.2. The problem remains in the new version too, and my hack around it no longer works. ]

Hello fellow Lilypond users,

I'm encountering a problem giving lyrics to polyphonic voices.

The soprano line for a song I'm scoring contains:

    << { d4 bf c2 d4 bf c } \\
    { bf4 f f2 bf4 f f } >>
    r4
    << { f' bf, c f, f' } \\
    { d f, bf d, d' } >>

When I add lyrics, using

        \context Lyrics {
            \lyricsto "soprano" \upperlyrics
        }

The lyrics stop where the polyphony starts. I have been told that this
is because each polyphonic voice represents a different, anonymous
voice, and therefore is not processed by \lyricsto at all.

I was able to hack around this in 2.2.x only by doing this:

        \addlyrics
        \context Voice = "soprano" {
            \clef treble
            \soprano
        }
        \context Lyrics ="lsoprano" {
            \upperlyrics
        }

But that chokes Lilypond 2.4.x.

How can I tell Lilypond that (especially because each voice has the
exact same rhythm) the polyphonic voices should be treated as one when
processing lyrics?

Otherwise, what is the best way to name each subvoice? It doesn't make
intuitive sense to have to name each one.

Also, I noticed that if I do this in 2.4.x:

        \context Lyrics = "lsoprano" {
            \lyricsto "soprano" \upperlyrics
        }

        \context Lyrics = "lalto" {
            \lyricsto "alto" \upperlyrics
        }

that is, if the lyrics are the same for soprano and alto voices,
and I reuse \upperlyrics twice, Lilypond junks all of the lyric
events on the alto voice. Copying \upperlyrics into identical \sopranolyrics and \altolyrics works.

The full .ly file is here (this works with 2.2 and is basically what I want it to continue looking like in 2.4):
http://triplehelix.org/~joshk/servants-chorus-1.ly

This one works with 2.4, but the lyrics get lost when the soprano voice breaks into polyphony:
http://triplehelix.org/~joshk/servants-chorus-1.snapshot.ly

Thanks,

--
Joshua Kwan