String numbers in circles

From: Walter Hofmeister
Subject: String numbers in circles
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:15:04 -0600

Can anyone tell me how to achieve numbers in circles? I used to be able to
get this to work on 2.1.x:
ces^\markup {"\\textcircled{\\tiny 1}"}

I think I got this from David Raleigh Arnold in a previous post. It no
longer works under 2.4.2. It gives the circle but no number inside of it.

I ran an old file through convert-ly and examined it to find that it did not
change the syntax. The new file ran without warnings but the generated file
gave the same result as described above; circle with no number.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Walter Hofmeister