Re: notation for pitch bends and drops

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: notation for pitch bends and drops
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 03:50:54 +0100 (CET)

> Gee, I don't know... that seems a bit steep.

It isn't steep at all IMHO.  If you implement such things carefully
you have to invest *a lot* of time, which makes an hourly rate of,
say, EUR 10.- or even less.  A `professional' programmer working for a
company costs at least EUR 80.- per hour.  Designing glyphs is very
time expensive, believe me.

I fully agree that it appears to be much money for a single person,
especially for students.  Anyway, Han-Wen has to set priorities,
otherwise we would never see a new release.

> I suppose the "features are being held up until someone pays for it"
> model will mean a slower rate of development for Lilypond...

You are misinterpreting the issue.  The features you are requesting
are not held up, they are just put into a very long queue of things
which would be nice to be implemented.  Paying him shifts *your*
particular problem to the top so that it is handled (almost)
immediately.

Find two other people with the same interest, and you get what you
want for the cost of a good dinner for two -- or two seats for a good
concert.

    Werner