Re: New glyph, language.ly (from: notation for pitch bends and drops)

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: New glyph, language.ly (from: notation for pitch bends and drops)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:43:06 -0500

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 09:50 pm, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > Gee, I don't know... that seems a bit steep.
>
> It isn't steep at all IMHO.  If you implement such things carefully
> you have to invest *a lot* of time, which makes an hourly rate of,
> say, EUR 10.- or even less.  A `professional' programmer working for
> a company costs at least EUR 80.- per hour.  Designing glyphs is very
> time expensive, believe me.

How do I design and implement my own quarter rest?  I want it
for guitar and banjo music only, and that only when there are
more than two parts on one stave, because otherwise it could
conceivably be played by another instrument.  There will be
scores with both kinds of rests, never on the same staff though.
The "classical" rest can be used that way?

The s or z rest is similar to the 'classical' rest, except it
has two lobes instead of one.  Among right-thinking engravers
;-) it replaced the 'classical' rest at about 1808.

No problem with the design part, there are plenty of examples, and I
have designed alphabets before, but not on a computer.  What is the
first step in putting it into the machine?  The second?

Question two:

Is there any objection to my having my own language.ly?  It seems to
be very easy to implement as long as it's Roman letters.  I'm
wanting "altletters.ly" with "b" for flat, "w" for double
flat, "s" for sharp and "x" for double sharp.  Lilypond doesn't
like bbb, and I suppose that could be considered a bug, but it
doesn't matter to me.  I tried it briefly, and I like it better,
but I don't like to hack like that without permission, especially
if I'm the only one doing the thing in question.

Does anyone else like "b" for flat and "s" for sharp with letter
notes?  Even after all this time I'm just not happy with the "f" for
flat.  After all, a flat *is* a letter "b".  I would be happy to copy
and type up "altletters.ly" to stick it in the directory with all the
other language.ly's if anyone's interested.  daveA

--
The only technical exercises for guitar which are worthy of the
instrument consist in "Dynamic Guitar Technique".  I promise miracles.