Adding performance notes (text) to score?

From: Lance Hoffmeyer
Subject: Adding performance notes (text) to score?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:44:57 -0600

Hey all,

Is there a way to add performance notes in lilypond?
I want to add two or three lines of text below the staff
at a certain point or create footnotes at the bottom of the

As an aside, how can I produce a jagged line along the staff?
This is typically used as a way to indicate a fingernail scraping
across a guitar string.  I put in a \glissando with a \markup
indicating what I wanted but would prefer the jagged line if possible.

                                Lance Hoffmeyer

          The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and
                          governments to gain ground.
                                Thomas Jefferson