Re: "repeat" slashes and the nature of lilypond

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: "repeat" slashes and the nature of lilypond
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:46:44 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> > There is hope for you here.  You might wish to contribute to Han-Wen's
> > offer in the long thread at
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2005-02/msg00174.html
>
> While I can wait for the jazz articulations, I do feel strongly enough
> about this to actually pay money for a chord system that is decoupled
> from notes.
>
> I'd really have to ask: WHO actually has a need for the pitches
> represenation of chords? Is there someone who actually uses this

It's because they're actual content. Consider printing a part with
your style of chord naming, and then having to give the same part to
someone used to ignatzek, with Danish notenames. With a neat
representation like the pitches that would be replacing

  \set chordNameFunction = #real-book-chord-names

with

  \set chordNameFunction = #ignatzek-chord-names
  \set chordNoteNamer = #note-name->german-markup

How do you go about that, when all you have is a sequence of letters,
numbers and symbols? Also, in a far future, I could imagine a
Band-in-a-Box functionality, which would also need to know about chord
pitches.

This is why I suggest to have your style of chord-naming added as a
separate style, on top of what we currently have. Removing the
block-chords from MIDI is not an issue. It's just a matter of removing
Note_performer from the MIDI ChordNames context.

Regarding your offer/request, I can only estimate how much work it
would be if you can send me chart, similar to the one in

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Chord-name-chart

with your desired layout. If you insist on a text-only approach, I can
cook up something, but I still need a sample of what you want.