Re: "repeat" slashes and the nature of lilypond

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: "repeat" slashes and the nature of lilypond
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:31:26 +0100

On Friday 18 February 2005 21.47, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > > OK. How is this different from
> > >
> > >   \lyricmode { \markup { C \majSymbol \super { 7 9 } }
> > >
> > > except for the \lyricmode and \markup ?
> >
> > (For starters, wouldn't you have to specify another font, since chords
> > and lyrics fonts are different?)
>
> that's my point: you want some simple changes to font selection, but
> it seems to me that you are asking for syntactic sugar, but I can't
> figure out which syntactic sugar you want.

There is one kind of syntactic sugar that I have been missing:

Imagine that you're typesetting a piece with chords, and that Ignatzek (or
some other chord naming scheme) fits fairly well with what you want. Say 95%
of the chords are typeset the way you want them, and you're dissatisfied with
only 5%.

The proper solution to this, would be to add exceptions, the way it's done in
chord-modifiers-init.ly. However, one could just want to add a quick hack to
say what it should look like, something like:
\once \set ChordNames.markupOverride = \markup { C \majSymbol \super { 7 9 } }
(this would override the markup for the following chord note, to the given
markup)

This would probably be easier for most people, than the complex approach of
adding the notation as an exception.

I have sometimes missed a feature like this one, and I can imagine that many
users would prefer this suggested method to the existing one.

(this might be possible already; however I haven't figured out how to do it
yet)

Erik