Re: Getting Started - Problem with Piano Centered Dynamics and Pedal

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Getting Started - Problem with Piano Centered Dynamics and Pedal
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:22:49 +0200

Ted Stanion wrote:

I have just started using LilyPond with version 2.4.3 on Cygwin. I modified
the "piano-dynamics.ly" file which I found at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/input/template/out-www/collated-files.html by
First problem: Use the manual for version 2.4, since that's the version you use.
There, the templates have moved into the a chapter of the manual.

adding an extra measure of music with new dynamics. Specifically, the second
measure has a crescendo to ff with \setTextCresc. The text comes out, but it
and the spanner are not aligned with the other dynamic markings. The manual
says that the vertical position should be controlled by the
DynamicLineSpanner object. I added a \override state, but it had no affect.

I don't like the current solution in the template using lots of extra-offset settings.
It should be possible to find a cleaner solution.
Anyway, you should get better alignment if you add the following line to
the definition of the Dynamics context:
     \override DynamicTextSpanner #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)

Also, I tried to change the PedalSustainStyle to bracket; this also failed.
Can anyone explain what I've done wrong? My input file is attached.

This one beats me for the moment. However, I don't really see the point to
typeset the pedal marks in a separate Dynamics context. Why not simply
typeset them within the left hand Staff context:

\score {
 \context PianoStaff <<
   \context Staff = "upper" \upper
   \context Dynamics = "dynamics" \dynamics
   \context Staff = "lower" <<
     \clef bass
     \lower \pedal

 \layout{

  /Mats

Thank you,
Ted Stanion

% Generated by lilypond-book

\layout {
   linewidth = 160 \mm
}
\renameinput "piano-dynamics.ly"
\version "2.4.0"
\header {
texidoc ="
 Dynamics on a separate line, neatly centered between staffs.
"
}

upper = \relative c'' {
 a b c d |
 a b c d
}

lower = \relative c {
 a2 c
 a2 c
}

dynamics =  {
 s2\fff\> s4
 s\!\pp |
 \setTextCresc
 s\< s2 s4\!\ff |
}

pedal =  {
 \set Staff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
 s2\sustainDown s2\sustainUp
}

\score {
 \context PianoStaff <<
   \context Staff = "upper" \upper
   \context Dynamics = "dynamics" \dynamics
   \context Staff = "lower" <<
     \clef bass
     \lower

   \context Dynamics = "pedal" \pedal

 \layout {
   \context {
     \type "Engraver_group_engraver"
     \name Dynamics
     \alias Voice % So that \cresc works, for example.
     \consists "Output_property_engraver"
minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-1 . 1)
     pedalSustainStrings = #'("Ped." "*Ped." "*")
     pedalUnaCordaStrings = #'("una corda" "" "tre corde")
     pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
\consists "Piano_pedal_engraver"
     \consists "Script_engraver"
     \consists "Dynamic_engraver"
     \consists "Text_engraver"

     \override TextScript #'font-size = #2
     \override TextScript #'font-shape = #'italic
     \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)
     \override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)
     \override Hairpin #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)
     \override DynamicLineSpanner #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)

     \consists "Skip_event_swallow_translator"

     \consists "Axis_group_engraver"
   }
   \context {
     \PianoStaff
     \accepts Dynamics
     \override VerticalAlignment #'forced-distance = #7
 \midi {
   \context {
     \type "Performer_group_performer"
     \name Dynamics