Re: midi2ly

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: midi2ly
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:55:10 +0200

I essentially agree with you in the fact that a printed score is a more
synthetic representation of the musician's intention than a midifile or a
recording of an actual performance.
Nevertheless the process of converting a particular rendering to a printed score
is possible; it is an art itself and is called transcription.
There are also cases in which the author himself published both a printed score
and a midi rendering of the music.
This is the case of Gershwin's Rapsody in Blue which was published both as a
printed score and as a piano roll (the midi file of that time); the piano roll
was cut and edited by the author. There is no doubt that Gershwin tryed to
convey his musical intent through both media but he had to use different
languages (the printed symbols in the first case, note numbers, times and
velocities in the second).

Thanks for the intersting discussion.

Antonio Palamà