Re: music-drawing-routines.ps

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: music-drawing-routines.ps
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:04:49 +0200

dpeach wrote:

address@hidden:~$ printenv TEXMF
{/usr/share/lilypond/2.4.5,{!!/home/david/.texmf-config,!!/home/david/.texmf-var,/home/david/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf-config,!!/usr/share/texmf-var,!!/usr/share/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf-local,!!/usr/share/texmf-dist}}

Looks OK and tells me that you have teTeX version 3, which might
be highly relevant.

One thing I noticed about this output after I sent it was that it mentions 4 directories in my /home/david dir which do not exist! That seems important to me. I know 2 of them are hidden, but I have checked that and they are not there. This seems key to me.

No, that's completely normal!

address@hidden:~$ kpsewhich music-drawing-routines.ps
/usr/share/lilypond/2.4.5/tex/music-drawing-routines.ps

OK! I realize now that the relevant thing to check probably is what
kpsewhich -format="dvips config" music-drawing-routines.ps
returns. Hopefully, it should answer with
/usr/share/lilypond/2.4.5/ps/music-drawing-routines.ps
on your system.

Nothing. No output.

OK, I think we are getting closer to the problem.
What do the following commands return (note that the quotes
are back quotes not normal quotes):

grep dvips `kpsewhich texmf.cnf`
grep TEXPSHEADERS `kpsewhich texmf.cnf`

So far, everything looks completely normal. As a last resort, you
could try to set the environment variable KPATHSEA_DEBUG to -1,
manually run the command:
dvips  -t "letter"   -u+ec-mftrace.map -u+lilypond.map -Ppdf peregrino
and then look through the resulting debug information that's printed to
stderr, to try to find out why the file isn't found.

I set the environment variable as suggested. I ran the command and it gave me the same errors. I am clueless as to what stderr is and googling did not shed much more light on the situation. Can you elaborate?

stderr is short for standard error, read any introduction to UNIX
and shells for more information. Assuming that you use sh or bash
as your shell, what I want you to do is:
export KPATHSEA_DEBUG=-1
dvips  -t "letter" -u+ec-mftrace -u+lilypond -Ppdf peregrino > log 2>&1

This should give you a long file "log" with lots of debug printouts
related to how dvips searches for different files in the installation.

   /Mats