Re: deb for latest

From: D Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: deb for latest
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 23:47:15 -0700 (PDT)

As there are no .deb packages for the 2.5 series yet, the easiest way, as has been suggested to me, is to compile it from source. If you compile with a prefix for your home directory, you don't have to worry about overwriting anything from your stable install. It has also been suggested to me to create a new user, so instead of having to uninstall before installing a new version (also from source), all you would have to do is create a new user in whose home directory to install the new version.

The problem that I had when trying to compile from source is the ghostscript prerequisite. I have not yet found a new enough debian binary for the new version of Ghostscript (8.15+), and I found some difficulties in trying to compile it myself. When school lets out for the summer, I may try to tackle this again.

Something I have not yet tried, but may be fruitful, is to install ghostscript from the fedora rpm using alien.

If you are able to install from source, please let me know what you had to do.

Josiah