Re: Poor error reporting

From: Sven Axelsson
Subject: Re: Poor error reporting
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:28:20 +0200

> From: Mats Bengtsson [mailto:address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Poor error reporting
>
> Does the program run to the end or does it crash in the middle?
> I don't think there have been many changes in the printouts from
> LilyPond, but if you have happened to trigger a bug that gives a
> segmentation fault, then it may happen that you don't get any
> useful information.
>
> If you want more help from the mailing list, please at least provide
> a copy of the printouts from lilypond --verbose or send the complete
> input files.

Ok, I might have come off needlessly annoyed here. Sorry about that. I
have found what casues this. It looks like some syntax errors inside a
markup causes Lilypond to produce no output. Here's what triggered the
error this time (trimmed to a minimum)

\version "2.5.27"

\header {
    title = \markup { \fill-line {  } }
}
\relative c'' {
    a b c d
}

Note the empty fill-line in the header markup.

Here is the log:

# -*-compilation-*-
Processing `D:/Music/test.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... [1]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Calculating line breaks... [2]

So it dies in the "Calculating page breaks" phase.

--
Sven Axelsson