Re: Tempo Headings

From: Will Oram
Subject: Re: Tempo Headings
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:59:58 -0500

On Jun 12, 2005, at 2:40 PM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

What does your \Oneheaders look like?
(By the way, the term "\score block" usually refers to a full
\score{...}. The term used in the manual is "identifier", even though
I personally might find "macro" even more appropriate).

True. In my nonalcoholic drunken stupor I thought such blocks started with \score for the first time ever. *hits self*

\Oneheaders looks like this:

Oneheaders = {
        s1^\markup { \bigger\bigger\bold {Allegro moderato.}}

        s1*26

s1^\markup { \bigger\bigger\bold {Moderato assai. \note #"4" #0.8 { = 80 } } }

        s1*20

        s1^\markup { \bigger\bigger\bold {Ben sostenuto il tempo.}}

        s1*57

        s1^\markup { \bigger\bigger\bold {Più mosso.}}

[...]
}

Obviously, if Oneheaders is adhered to the flute staff, either they both appear or they both don't. What I don't understand is why sticking Oneheaders in other instruments doesn't produce the desired effect, or even multiple instances of the same text in which both instruments play.

To preclude your followup, I propose to use \mark for these tempo
indications in case you didn't already do that.

Hmm? According to http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.5/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/ Rehearsal-marks.html#Rehearsal-marks , \mark is for rehearsal letters. Those have been set already.

Best,
Will

Will Oram wrote:
For partmaking purposes I stripped the large print tempo indications from a piece and put them in their own \score block. The consequence of this is that, back in the full score, these tempo indications only print if the instrument below it (flute) is visible at the tempo change (i.e., it is playing something). All tempo indications are placed in a \score block called 'Oneheaders', and applied below:
\book {
    \header { \include "header.ly" }
        \score {
        \simultaneous {
            \context StaffGroup ="woodwinds" <<
                \context GrandStaff ="flutes" <<
                    \context Staff = "flauti" <<
                        \set Staff.midiInstrument = #"flute"
\set Staff.instrument = \markup { \center-align { "Flauto I." } } \set Staff.instr = \markup { \center-align { "Fl." } }
                        \Onebarlines
                        \Onespacing
                        \Oneheaders
                        \parameters
                        \OnetheFlutes >>
                    \context Staff = "flauti2" <<
                        \set Staff.midiInstrument = #"flute"
\set Staff.instrument = \markup { \center-align { "Flauto II." } }
                           \Onebarlines
                           \OnetheFlutessecond >>
                 >> % end flutes
                 \context Staff ="oboi" <<
                      \set Staff.midiInstrument = #"oboe"
\set Staff.instrument = \markup { \center-align { "2 Oboi" } } \set Staff.instr = \markup { \center-align { "Ob." } }
                       \Onebarlines
                       \OnetheOboes >>
[...]
Thus, at measure 1, 'Allegro Moderator' is printed, because the flute is visible on that page. About 100 measures later though, 'più mosso' does not print because the topmost instrument is the oboe at that time. I tried sticking \Oneheaders in every instrument, but that didn't help.
Suggestions?
Will Oram // Genius @ Large // AIM spamguy21
spamguy (at) foxchange (dot) com // wro1 (at) cwru (dot) edu

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology