Re: Jazz standard, four bars a line with equal size

From: D Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: Jazz standard, four bars a line with equal size
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:14:55 -0700 (PDT)

I want to have four bars at a line and also every bar must have
exactle the same size. Because this makes it much easyer to
 read. Because than all the bar line a on one line (vertical)

Actually, although jazz charts are written 4-bars to a line, and it does make it easier to read -- because each line acts as a group of four -- it's best if the bar-lines are NOT in exactly the same vertical location, because then it is too easy for the eye to go to the wrong line.

This is something that gets tossed about the list every now and again. Something I posted awhile ago in a previous iteration of this topic may be of some relevance, and the thread as a whole should be enlightening:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2004-09/msg00166.html

In essence, perfectly even barlines are not supported. You'd have to ask Jan or Han-Wen what is involved and how much it means to them, but I know that in the past, they have been willing to implement features for those with the will and means to see those features implemented.

Josiah