First line single staff, then double and some other beginner questions

From: Hendrik Maryns
Subject: First line single staff, then double and some other beginner questions
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:32:11 +0200

Hi,

After some experimenting a year ago, I started again now with Lilypond 2.6.0 becoming available on Windows (with an easy interface, congratulations!).

In trying to make my first piece, I'd like a first staff for the preamble (voorspel, what's it called?), then from the second line have two staves. I have this now with the following code, but the splitting up in two << >> contexts seems inappropiate. Also, now the \time signature is ignored in the second and further staves. So how can I achieve this? By hiding the second stave on the first line, or adding a new stave only at a certain point or...

Some more questions: how to add Unicode in the title (I want ë. TeX-syntax \"e didn't work.) And I'd like a pianostaff-like brace in front of my staves, but adding \pianoStaff messes up the text and all.

Also, can I suspend a {}-group and continue it later, or do I have to do the first voice in total, then the second. This is a copy of existing music, as you might have guessed, so that would be easier to type.

A bunch of questions, I thank you for your patience!

TIA, groet, Hendrik

\version "2.6.0"
\header{
        title = "Erev shell shoshanim"
        composer = "Israel"
}

<<
\chords { d1*2:m g1:m d:m }
\relative c' {
        \time 4/4
        \override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'()
        \key f \major
        d4 d8 c d2
        d4 d8 c d2
        d4 e8 f g4 f8 e
        f4 e d2
        \bar "||" }

<<
\chords { d1:m g1*2:m d1:m }
\new Staff
\relative c' {
        \key f \major
        \bar "|:"
        d4 d8 c d4 f
        g2~ g4 d
        g g8 f g4 a
        f1
        }
\addlyrics { E -- rev shell sho -- sha -- nim net -- se na el ha -- bus -- tan }
\new Staff
\relative c' {
        \key f \major
        d4 d8 c d4 a'
        b2~ b4 a
        b b8 a b4 d
        a1

Hendrik Maryns

Interesting websites:
www.lieverleven.be      (I cooperate)
www.eu04.com            European Referendum Campaign
aouw.org                The Art Of Urban Warfare