Re: Compiling Lilypond-2.6.0 On Gentoo

From: Daniel Johnson
Subject: Re: Compiling Lilypond-2.6.0 On Gentoo
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 21:59:35 -0700

If you are going to be building the documentation on Gentoo (i.e. you
have "doc" in your USE variable) it is almost imperative that you use a
version of Guile newer than the latest stable -- use a CVS snapshot of
the development branch, and you get Han-Wen's garbage-collection
patches.  What I wound up doing was the following (as root):

***WARNING: UGLY HACKS***

1. cd ~
2. wget
ftp://ftp.dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/pub/guile/snapshots/guile-core.unstable.tar.gz
3. tar xzf guile-core.unstable.tar.gz
4. tar czf guile-1.7.2.tar.gz guile-core.unstable*
5. mv guile-1.7.2.tar.gz /usr/portage/distfiles
6. mkdir -p $PORTDIR_OVERLAY/dev-util/guile/
7. cd $PORTDIR_OVERLAY/dev-util/guile
8. cp /usr/portage/dev-util/guile-1.6.8.ebuild ./guile-1.7.2.ebuild
9. edit guile-1.7.2.ebuild. Add dev-libs/gmp to the DEPEND var.  Remove
the line that patches in case of GCC 4.0 (unless you are running GCC 4,
in which case you'll have to figure out how to modify the patch yourself)
10. ebuild guile-1.7.2.ebuild digest
11. emerge guile
12. cd $PORTDIR_OVERLAY/media-sound/lilypond
13. edit lilypond-2.6.0.ebuild.  In the src_install function, comment
out the entire "if use doc;" block.
14. ebuild lilypond-2.6.0.ebuild digest
15. mkdir -p /var/tmp/portage/lilypond-2.6.0/work
16. USE="doc" FEATURES="keepwork" emerge lilypond
17. mkdir -p /usr/share/doc/lilypond; cd /usr/share/doc/lilypond
18. tar xzf
/var/tmp/portage/lilypond-2.6.0/work/lilypond-2.6.0/out-www/web.tar.gz

I'm sure there are better ways of doing this but this was my quick &
dirty method.  Building of documentation proceeded at a very nice pace,
and didn't crash like it has been doing for the last month or so.  This
should also help users who are building massive documents with
lilypond-book.

I sure hope the Gentoo team supports this stuff without my hacks soon...
but that's unlikely since they seem to be stalled on creating an ESP
Ghostscript 8.15rc3 ebuild.  And forget about Guile CVS... development
and release of Guile seems to happen at a snail's pace, and I don't
think anyone other than Han-Wen has placed any importance on the GC
portion of Guile.  We are *so* spoiled with the pace of Lilypond
development!

--Daniel