LSR (was: Argument transfer?)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: LSR (was: Argument transfer?)
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:33:37 -0700

On 5-Jul-05, at 10:23 AM, Sebastiano Vigna wrote:

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 11:34 -0500, Fairchild wrote:
Why not incorporate LSR into the manual or Tips and Tricks?

That's planned.

There is some issue still in passing from 2.4 from 2.6. I never had any
answer to my question--whether the stuff from regression had been
already ported or not, and how to handle the problem.

Sorry, I missed this question, and I don't quite understand. Are you asking if the current input/regression/ stuff is up-to-date, or whether they've been
added to LSR, or...?

I don't know why it's not easy to search--be more specific.

I find the searching easy. If you want more powerful searches, then you can
download the snippets and use grep.  :)

Many entries *come* from the user manual. In any case, it is unlikely
LSR will have a lot of maintenance if users are not interested in
putting anything into it. It's a chicken-and-egg problem.

I'm a big fan of LSR, since it allows much easier user contributions to
the docs.

I should probably pass the whole LSR through convert-ly -f 2.4.4 -t
2.6.0.

Please do.  Once LSR is running 2.6.0, users don't have any excuse not
to help out. :) (currently they can claim "oh, I'm running 2.6.0, not 2.4.4,
so I can't help)

Here's my vision ("dream?" :)  for the future of LSR:
1.  Have it running 2.6.x.
2. Get some users to make sure that all the "Tips and Tricks" examples are
in LSR and working properly.
3.  Figure out how to generate the current "Tips and Tricks" page from
snippets downloaded from LSR.  Right now I imagine that we'll keep a
list of snippet names to include.  Somebody (ie me) downloads the
current snippet database, runs a script that selects those snippet names,
and copies them into the input/test/  (or wherever they end up going).
4.  Advertise LSR a lot more.  Whenever somebody has a trick-worthy
snippet, they just add it to LSR, and I can just add the name to the
trick snippet list.

Cheers,
- Graham