(OT) vim, osx, text encoding (was: magic diacritic markup?)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: (OT) vim, osx, text encoding (was: magic diacritic markup?)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:54:08 -0700

On 26-Jul-05, at 3:47 PM, Trevor Baca wrote:
Yes, you're right. The trick is

  set encoding=utf-8

All fine under OS X with
  :digraphs

Ok, I hate being a newbie, but I'm lost.  OSX 10.3.9, vim (as it comes
with OSX, not the fink version), Terminal.

I've got
set encoding=utf-8
in my ~/.vimrc, and the Terminal inspector "Display" window is set to
Unicode (UTF-8).  I'm using Monaco Regular font (in Terminal), if that
matters.

When I try
:digraphs
in vim, I see a whole bunch of question marks or ^x (where x is a capital
letter).  For example, the first two entries are
NU ^@  10  SH ^A

When I attempt to insert chars from OSX's Character Palette, I can
insert the copyright symbol ok, but attempting to insert smart quotes
results in
address@hidden

(although the smart quotes don't look right, when I build the documentation,
they come out ok in the html pages)

Is this normal?

Cheers,
- Graham, LilyPond Documentation Editor