Re: convert-ly problem

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: convert-ly problem
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:30:25 -0400

    HN> Discussing decisions beforehand is a nice democratic
    HN> tradition, but Lily is not a democracy.

Neither is it a one-man development team for a program used by only
one person.

    HN> If you disagree with a change, you're welcome to pose
    HN> questions, but I am not going to solicit feedback
    HN> beforehand. As one of more brilliant math profs explained to
    HN> me: "if you have a good idea, just do it.  Getting permission
    HN> beforehand is always more trouble than apologizing afterwards"

For the person who isn't using the results of the decision, clearly.

    HN> I have the impression that you think that I break stuff just
    HN> for the pleasure of it.

No, but I think you make some changes without thinking about all the
repercussions.  Some of the lousy old stuff you're throwing out might
have been better if it had been discussed first, and I'm not sure you
aren't implementing some lousy new stuff by just doing what occurs to
you instead of discussing the real problems of real users.

    HN> Funny that you should mention this.  I am not convinced that
    HN> NCSB is the best font that we have (there is no bold-condensed
    HN> version, which is what I want for lyrics), but I recall we
    HN> also had several people applauding the move.

I showed a short piece set by both 2.0 and 2.6 to several users of my
work, and some of them thought the new font was a lot more readable
than the old font.  I don't find this true personally, which is why I
think a wide discussion would be good.

    >> now I have to deal with "How
    >> do I find the start of the note entry given that there's no longer a
    >> '\notes' statement?"

    HN> Frankly, I don't understand this remark. We just made the \notes mode
    HN> the default, so it is no longer necessary.

But my scripts that add properties at the beginning of the notes use
it to figure out where the notes begin.

No, I am not saying that you should make all my little scripts that
you've never seen or used absolutely stable.  But you obviously didn't
know that that change was going to impact real users when you made it.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139