Strange Install Problems

From: Randy Keeling
Subject: Strange Install Problems
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 17:37:50 -0500

Greetings,

I have just re-installed (wipe the drive and installed from the ground up) my computer and went to put Lily back on it. The other day when I first installed it I used the Windows binary as opposed to using Cygwin. Today I went with Cygwin. After installing Cygwin (v 2.457.2.2) I had two problems:

Problem 1) First I opened a bash window and typed Lilypond. I got an error message stating that the application failed to start because cygcrypt-0.dll was not found. After a quick google, I found that I should have installed the cyrpt package too. I did this and all was fixed BUT... shouldn't this have been added as a dependency? Is this a Lilypond problem or a Cygwin problem?

Problem 2) Regardless of what files I try to use with Lilypond I get an error that the file could not be found. I used the command Lilypond test.ly As a result I get:

GNU Lilypond 2.6.0
warning: can't find file: 'test.ly'
error: failed files: "test.ly"

There are no files generated (log, etc)

For the record, I am using Windows XP Home SP2. Cygwin is installed to c:\cygwin. The files are in C:\cygwin\home\Randy and I downloaded my Cygwin packages from the mirror http://mirrors.kernel.org. During the install the only thing I checked on was Lilypond. I have tried this three times. After each failure I deleted the folder C:\cygwin, restarted, and tried again.

Thanks,
Randy

Randy