Re: default font

From: fiëé visuëlle
Subject: Re: default font
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:09:17 +0200

Am 2005-08-17 um 18:03 schrieb address@hidden:

actually the links helped me a lot. navigating around the .pdf was quite a pain in the a**, so i overlooked quite a lot of the crucial infos.

But did you manage to set any font? How?

I found the hint that fontconfig sees from OSX's fonts only the first style. That should read: Only single-style TrueType fonts. It doesn't seem possible to use TT fonts in suitcases, OTF fonts, PS fonts without screen font, some other...

Working are only single-style TT/dfonts like Papyrus, Zapfino, Impact

If I try to use some multi-style font, I always get Verdana (WTF!? see below).

I tried this approach: (It's not in the manual, I found it in some source file or mail.)

\paper  {
  myStaffSize = #20

  #(define fonts
    (make-pango-font-tree "Times"
                          "Helvetica"
                          "Courier"
                           (/ myStaffSize 20)
                           ))
}

[one hour later]

I just dived into fontconfig configuration (http://fontconfig.org/ fontconfig-user.html)...

- Century Schoolbook is nowhere defined.

- Verdana is defined as fallback for sans-serif (but also serif fonts fall back to Verdana!)

- LilyPond's config sets Verdana as Alias for Helvetica and Arial. WHY? Verdana is a screen font! (aliasing Arial and Helvetica would be ok)

- after creating my own .fonts.conf, my additional fonts folders (e.g. TeX) are searched (i.e. a cache file is created), but the fonts are still never used: Does LilyPond really make use of fontconfig settings?

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm