Re: How can I avoid unicode and use Latin1? (Was: Wrong characters with

From: stk
Subject: Re: How can I avoid unicode and use Latin1? (Was: Wrong characters with jEdit)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 04:26:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> address@hidden wrote:
> > Unicode only provides a way of specifying character codes for a wide
> > variety of symbols in the interior of a text file.  But without font files
> > containing the order of 64K symbols, the current fragmented font-file
> > situation will continue to limit what can easily be output to a screen
> > or a printer.  It is difficult for me to share your optimism.

> That's not a problem, at least, not on Linux. Pango does a wonderful job
> of inspecting the coverage of each font. It substitutes whichever font
> has the glyphs that are required to print the text.

Well, that's impressive.  For Windows users --  suppose that the right
environment variable has been set to signal to LilyPond the presence of
various Windows font directories. Then is Pango actually able to do that
sort of font substitution if the specified font name in a .LY file is that
of a TTF font located in a Windows directory?

-- Tom