Re: Putting horizontal brackets at a fixed y-position

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Putting horizontal brackets at a fixed y-position
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:05:57 +0200

Sven Axelsson wrote:
\score {
\relative c'' {
  \repeat volta 2 { a b c d }
  \alternative { { d' c b a } { e c d b } }
}
\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \override VoltaBracket #'Y-offset-callbacks = #(list
Staff_symbol_referencer::callback)
    \override VoltaBracket #'staff-position = #8
\markup { Now brackets are aligned and the music is inside the bracket. }
%%%%%%%%

Shouldn't this behaviour be the default?

No! If you for example replace the d' in the first ending with a g',
then you will get a completely unacceptable output. I know your
opinion that you will manually spot it and correct it, but it
should certainly not be the default.

The default behaviour should be that if there is a high note
in any of the prima volta or secunda volta, then both should be
raised so that the notes fit below the brackets but both brackets
are still aligned. However, it seems that this would require some
major modifications to the internals of LilyPond, which is why we
have the current situation.

   /Mats