Re: Tempo change in Midi file

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Tempo change in Midi file
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:55:48 +0200

I think there was an insightful email in the mailing lists a couple of
years ago that explained that the current solution of handling MIDI
tempo changes will only work with certain MIDI players but not
with all. I just tried to listen to your example using kmidi (which
internally uses timidity, a software-only MIDI interpreter) and it
certainly plays the correct tempo changes, but it may fail for your
combination of sound card and software.

Neil Killeen wrote:

according to the mail archives, I should just insert a \tempo directive
whenever I want to change the tempo (I think this should be in the

1) For multiple staff music, should I insert just one
   set of markings for one of the staves (does it matter
   which one) or should they all have a (redundant)
   tempo marking ?

2) Regardless, this does not seem to function. Here is a little bit of test music.

sopNotes = {
   \relative c' {
      \tempo 4=100
      e2 e2 e2 e2  e2 e2 e2 e2
      \tempo 4=50
      e2 e2 e2 e2  e2 e2 e2 e2
mezNotes = {
   \relative c' {
      \tempo 4=100
      c2 c2 c2 c2 c2 c2 c2 c2
      \tempo 4=50
      c2 c2 c2 c2 c2 c2 c2 c2

\score {
\new ChoirStaff
 \new Staff  { \context Voice = sop { \sopNotes } }
 \new Staff { \context Voice = mez { \mezNotes } }

\layout {}
\midi {}

The resultant midi file (attached)  does not change tempo.  It makes no
difference whether I use one staff or two (and also if I
use one staff and drop the \new ChoirStaff syntax it also
does not work).

I am using V 2.6.3-1 on a Mac Powerbook

lilypond-user mailing list

        Mats Bengtsson