Re: lily in agnula ? lily in live distro ?

From: Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
Subject: Re: lily in agnula ? lily in live distro ?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:21:29 -0800

Hardware auto worked fine but connecting it all together each and every time you boot up is a total pain. And it wasn't so much that the initial cost was so much but that between very slow and mostly inadequate support (the forums last I checked and that was a while ago- I basically gave up on it- were of not much use and none of the advise I got worked.) and then that the software was integrated but not with any of the hardware so just to start it took forever each time.

Lastly they get you as badly as any other proprietary software for upgrades- and given that everything is somewhat older versions you need the upgrades as soon as they come out.

I just felt it didn't work for writing music (composing in the older sense).
Jay

Darius Blasband wrote:

I would not say it is expensive in absolute terms - it compares favourably with Cubase, for instance - but then again, compared with something that's free, I guess everything looks expensive.

The hardware autodetection is fairly good. So is the support. I have two reservation about the product:

- Claiming you can boot on a CD and save your data on a USB storage device does not work all that well: CD drives are just too slow and noisy for comfort ! I have not tried to install
    it on a hard disk, but I would expect it to work much better.
- As far as I have been able to see, there is no facility to edit double-stave Piano scores, making it cumbersome as a Lilypond front-end, at least for me... It might be adequate for string quartets though...

Darius.

Cyprien Gay wrote:

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence a écrit :
There is something called Studio to Go
http://www.ferventsoftware.com
British
Expensive
Lilypond is integrated with Rosegarden
I found it to be a total pain
and the version of Lily is 2.2 which isn't really adequate anymore.

2.6.1 now, it seems :
http://www.ferventsoftware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=59

Total pain in what sense ?
Integration of Lilypond with Rosegarden is a pain ?

Anyway, expensive indeed.
And only one license per copy.

Cyprien.

Cyprien Gay wrote:

Also, is there any live-cd with lilypond on it ?