Re: Newbie needs help with LaTeX/lilypond integration

From: John Wiedenhoeft
Subject: Re: Newbie needs help with LaTeX/lilypond integration
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:35:04 +0100

Ross M. Donaldson schrieb:
> Hello!
>
> I am an undergraduate student wrting a musicology paper (an undergraduate
> thesis). I've decided to write my paper in LaTeX in order to have a better
> product (as well as to facilitate certain formatting concerns). I was thrilled
> to discover the existence of lilypond, and want very badly to make it work.
>
> That said, I'm only a semi-proficient computer user. The lilypond
> documentation
> and, indeed, all the research I've done in an attempt to solve my own problems
> pre-suppose levels of skill and comprehension which I dont have.
>
> What I want to do:
>
> Integrate lilypond code into my LaTeX documents. I hope to have a finished
> product featuring beautifully engraved musical examples alongside text.
>
> What I am using:
> Windows XP, TeXnicCenter linked to MikTex.
>
> What I dont understand:
> How to code a LaTeX/lilypond document properly. How to compile that document
> into a PDF.

To learn more about coding LaTeX documents, please refer to some latex
documentation or mailinglist. For LilyPond: did you read the
lilypond-book documentation
(http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.6/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/LilyPond_002dbook.html#LilyPond_002dbook)?

Besides, I would not use that under windows, because with
Texniccenter/MikTeX it really steals your time to set up your editor
properly - it's ugly tweaking. Use pdfcrop (it's included with MikTeX)
instead to produce your snippets, and include them as images.