Re: Rehearsal mark on time signature

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Rehearsal mark on time signature
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:46:34 -0600

On 11/28/05, liang seng <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, I would like to say good work on making available new ways of aligning
> the rehearsal mark on Lilypond 2.7.19. However, I would like to know is it
> possible to align the rehearsal mark with a time signature? Or perhaps
> efforts are being made to include this feature in future versions?
> I'm saying this because if you look carefully at the beginning of printed
> music scores, the rehearsal mark is usually a tempo marking eg. Allegro,
> Adagio. The first letter of the rehearsal mark is on top of the time
> signature of the staff below it instead of the key signature. And of course,
> the time signature is to the right of the key signature. So I hope this
> feature would be added as the rehearsal mark would look better in that
> position.

If we look at ...

%%%% BEGIN SNIPPET %%%%%%%%%

\version "2.7.19"

\score {
   <<
      \new Staff {
         \set Score.rehearsalMarkAlignSymbol = #'time-signature
         \time 1/4 \mark "Zart" % THIS ISN'T NOT RELATIVE TO TIME SIGNATURE
         c'4
         \time 4/4 \mark "Bewegt" % BUT THIS IS
         c'4 c'4 c'4 c'4
      }

   \layout {
      \context {
         \Score
         \override RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #left

%%%%% END SNIPPET %%%%%%%%%%%%%%

... we see that we can, in fact, align rehearsal marks to time
signatures. There seem to be two last tasks, though:

1. Aligning to *the very first* time signature in a context seems to
be a problem (eg, "Zart") even though aligning to *subsequent* time
signatures works fine (eg, "Bewegt"); this may or may not be a bug and
I've asked Han-Wen so we'll see what he thinks.

2. Setting #'self-alignment-X positions the mark relative to the
*center* of time signature (or other grob); what we need to do is find
a way to position the mark relative to the *left edge* of the grob.
There may, in fact, be a way to do this already but I haven't finished
digging around yet!

Once we find ways to do both #1 and #2 then we'll be able to have the
left edge of, for example, "Zart" align exactly with the left edge of
the 1/4, which will conform to the most usual classical practice for
setting the first tempo indication with no more extra-offset hackery.

[Sidenote: as long as we're on the topic, 2.7.19 introduces a really
wonderful bit of improved syntax over, say, 2.7.10. Previously, to
change rehearsal mark alignment, you had to use the following pair of
lines ...

%%%%% BEGIN 2.7.10 SNIPPET %%%%%

         \override RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #left
         \override RehearsalMark #'X-offset-callbacks =
#`(,Self_alignment_interface::aligned_on_self)

%%%%% END 2.7.10 SNIPPET %%%%%%

... whereas now all you have to use is the first of the two lines,
which is a VERY nice improvement imo!]

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden