installation woes

From: Tom Ace
Subject: installation woes
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 19:41:24 +0000 (UTC)

I have been unable to install lilypond on a Fedora Core 3 x86 system.

Installing from  lilypond-2.6.4.3.x86.package  gets me a lilypond
executable that segmentation faults when processing simple test input.

Installing from  lilypond-2.4.6-1.i386.rpm  gets me a lilypond
executable that works, but dvips fails with the message
  dvips: ! Couldn't find header file ecrm10

I have looked for troubleshooting tips but haven't found any yet
that apply to these problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

--verbose returns this (and a bunch more that I can provide if needed):

GNU LilyPond 2.4.6

LILYPOND_DATADIR="/usr/share/lilypond"
LOCAL_LILYPOND_DATADIR="/usr/share/lilypond/2.4.6"
LOCALEDIR="/usr/share/locale"
LILYPONDPREFIX=""

thanks,

Tom Ace