Trouble rendering tamil characters (indic)

From: Arun Kumar
Subject: Trouble rendering tamil characters (indic)
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:57:47 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I am having trouble getting lilypond (on winxp) to display certain tamil (an
indian language supported by pango-indic) characters. These are of the form in
unicode as consonant+modifier which results in *one* character in the font
which represents the modified consonant. I actually find *some* of these forms
to work but many dont. Note that the character displays correctly in a unicode
text editor (babelpad).

Is this a bug in pango? I have tried lilypond 2.6.4 as well as latest 2.7 but
have the same problem. 2.6 I believe uses Pango 1.4 and 2.7 I think uses Pango
2.10?

To see if it is really a problem with Pango, I have installed GIMP and GTK 2.0
which also uses Pango (1.10) and tried its text editor. The text-editor is
able to display the characters correctly. Only when I generate a PNG or PDF in
lilypond, does the character not come out correctly. So I dont know if this
means there is still a bug in Pango or how Lilypond uses it?

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Arun