Re: Roadmap to lily code

From: Art Hixson
Subject: Re: Roadmap to lily code
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:00:32 -0800

Being relatively new to Lilypond I was puzzled by the use of Scheme as a programming language. But, after reading this thread I was inspired to actually have a look at the language. I now wonder why anyone would question the choice. For Scheme is a wonderful, expressive language. I intend to pursue it!

Over the years I've written hundreds of thousands of lines of Fortran, Cobol, assembly for a variety of machines, Forth, Rexx, Modula, Python. While Modula is syntactically perfect and Python, as its descendant, is pretty nearly so, they still have a rather old fashioned feel and while useful aren't particularly interesting.

So my vote is keep up the good work in Scheme!

Art Hixson