Changing polyphonic per-voice rest position

From: Nicholas Bailey
Subject: Changing polyphonic per-voice rest position
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 21:51:38 +0000

Hello!

I'm trying to typeset a piece of polyphonic keyboard music by the English composer John Bull with version 2.4 and 2.6 (two different platforms), and I've noticed the positioning of the rests doesn't look too good. I understand that you can place a rest using a note followed by \rest, but for much of the score the register of the "sooprano" part is rather low, and the default rest position for that voice seems to be at the very top or even above the clef.

Would it be possible to say "Please use the following default vertical positions for rests for the moment" in the score, to save having to place rests explicity the whole time? I've read the manual and as far as I can understand it, it might be possible to set staff-position of Rest somehow, but as to how to achieve this per-voice, I'm very much out of my depth I'm afraid.

Any help very much appreciated.

Nick