Re: frustrated but seek style

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: frustrated but seek style
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 23:06:03 +0100

For the examples you mention, they can easily be controlled in the \layout{...} block and \paper{...} blocks. Just put these in a separate file that you include in your .ly files.

  /Mats

Quoting Aaron Mehl <address@hidden>:

Hi all,
I have been using lilypond for a while and truthfully a few things would make me so much happier and less frustrated, one I have asked about but from past response sorta doubt anything will come of it.

The other maybe.

I use css and xml/html and love the ability to separate formating/style from content.

This lets me create a style sheet and use it for multiple files.
The style language is simple and clear without worring about making brakets match or having a plethora of tweaks for achieving things that should be common and standard.

what I am asking for is a style sheet language where I can do something like the following.

lyrics {
position:relative; top3px:
font-family:serif;
font-style:bold;
}
title {
font-family:sans-serif;
font-size:bold;

}

etc. now I have to stick some things inside the markup, others in the paper block and others in the layout block. and maybe others will require a scheme hack? I don't say the syntax of css is right for lilypond, I just am frustrated with having to fiddle to get style working and then only have it portable using includes...

The other issue is one I brought up before:

Instead of anything goes, have a clearly defined structure and syntax with rules. then the editors can intuitivly help with layout and a newbie won't need to flood the mailing list with needless (but needed) questions. To much freedom in this case I feel limits freedom.

If anyone is interested in the first scenero I would be willing to join them in a feature request.

Aaron