Re: Footers/headers and line breaks

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: Footers/headers and line breaks
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:07:44 +1100

cordilow (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering how to create a footer.  The documentation talks about them,
> but it never says how to make them.  So far, I've only been able to make a
> footer by using tagline in the header.
>
> The following does not work, or compile for that matter:
> \footer
> {
>    poet = "some poet"
>    composer = "some composer"
> }

The term 'footer' isn't understood. All of the 'footer' type things in
Lily at the moment are put in the 'header' block.

> Also, I was wondering how to make line breaks in a header or footer.
>
> I was also wondering how to make additional pieces of text in a header or
> footer.
> I mean, if I want something besides the poet or composer--like a reference,
> and/or a copyright notice, for example--or even just a note.  I mean,
>
> \header
> {
>    otherHeaderItem = "this or that"
> }
>
> Does seem to work.  Also, if such can be added, how do I position it where I
> want?

This will compile, but all you've done (internally) is define a variable
called 'otherHeaderItem'. All of the other header things--title,
composer and so on--are the same, but they're defined in a file called
titling-init.ly (somewhere in your installation.) Since this file
doesn't tell Lily what to do with otherHeaderItem, it just says "that's
nice!" and continues.

If you know any Scheme you might be able figure out how to define
otherHeaderItem the way you want it.

> Hmm . . . Is there a way to just arrange it with HTML, and have it pretend
> that the music (staves, notes, and lyrics) is a picture in between?  That
> would be extremely nice.

Yes! Check the docs for lilypond-book. It can also use other formats
like latex if you're familiar with those.

Cameron