How to add another output format?

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: How to add another output format?
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 22:37:51 +0100

I started to work on a small project to output a Festival singing mode
file from LilyPond input (this is useful for blind authors to easily
check lyrics is properly aligned with music).  I think this could be
similar to producing MIDI output but I haven't found a way how to take
advantage of it.

Is there a better way how to do it than analyzing the parsed music
expression (as displayed by \displayMusic)?  Is there any documentation
on adding new output formats (without modifying LilyPond)?

Thanks for any advice.

Milan Zamazal