Re: Windows GUI

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Windows GUI
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:43:29 +0100

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 22.22, Ramana Kumar wrote:
> In my opinion there currently don't exist any particularly good GUIs
> for lilypond (unless you count your text editor!), simply because text
> editing is a lot more powerful...
> ...but I understand that having a GUI is sometimes very desireable.
>
> Apart from Lilycomp, the only other program I know about is Denemo. I
> guess this is one of the ones you looked at that was not for Windows
> but for Linux.
>
> Fortunately, you don't actually need to install Linux to use Denemo
> (although if you were thinking about doing it, I'd recommend
> installing Linux anyway). Have a look at www.mingw.org and
> www.cygwin.com for some ways to emulate Linux on Windows. Either one
> would (I believe) allow you to run Denemo on Windows (through
> emulation).

(minor correction: these projects are implementations of GNU, not Linux
emulators. They require that you rebuild packages, and they do not offer
binary compatibility between platforms. Porting denemo to mingw or cygwin is
probably a difficult task)

So the _easiest_ solution is probably to install linux. Either you can try
demudi (http://demudi.agnula.org/), which ships with lots of music software
out-of-the-box, or Ubuntu (ubuntulinux.com) which is more mainstream and
contains a newer version of lilypond.

Another way is to find a GUI for windows which exports MIDI or MusicXML files,
and then to import those to lilypond. In this case, you'll have to post-edit
the resulting .ly file slightly; some people consider this extra work more
time-consuming than entering the piece from scratch.

--
Erik