Re: faster lilypond rendering

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: faster lilypond rendering
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:39:58 +0100

Citerar Ben Fisher <address@hidden>:

> Running lilypond seems to take a while on my machine. For a project I'm
> working on it'd be nice to have much faster time to output. Maybe some of
> this time is spent for lilypond to load all of its fonts and set up.
>
> Instead of running lilypond.exe several times, is there a way to start
> lilypond so that it stays active? For example, it would sit and capture from
> stdin, creating a pdf/or png of the output whenever an eof is fed in, but
> only quitting upon recieving a certain code? I'm willing to do c++ coding if
> necessary.
>
> Or, ideally, a standard windows dll of lilypond that would only need to get
> set up once.
>
> And if it were possible to do this, would the time saving be significant?

I think the only time that would be saved, is some of the setup which is done
before lily displays "Parsing...". There was a discussion on lilypond-devel
recently, and IIRC Han-Wen thought that it would be rather easy to implement a
lilypond daemon, but that the time savings would be rather small.

Erik