Re: new key signatures

From: Mark Dewey
Subject: Re: new key signatures
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:04:04 -0700

Thanks for the information! I have another related question, now, though.

I've found that the following code will get the key signature to look right:
\new Staff
{
\set Staff.keySignature = #'( ((1 . 4) . 2) ((1 . 1) . 2) )
        b4 c' dis' e' f' gis' a' b'
        c'' dis'' e'' f'' gis'' a'' b''
}

However, when I define a key signature, the sharps/flats don't apply for the note in every octave--just the octave I specify. Is there a way to make it apply to all octaves without having loads of symbols on the key signature? Notice that in the above code the key signature only seems to apply to dis'' and gis'',
and not dis' and gis'.

Here's a definition of how this seems to work:
\set Staff.keySignature = #'( ( (a . b)  c) )
a = Octave
b = Vertical position / Note value
c values:
        1: half sharp
        2: sharp
        -1: half flat
        -2: flat
Where a = 1
        if b = 2, the note is e''
        if b = 1, the note is d''
        if b = 0, the note is c'', etc.

I'm wondering if perhaps there's a value for 'a' that will cover all octaves, and put the
sharp/flat symbols in the regular octave-positions.

Gilles wrote:
Is it possible to create 'new' key signatures?  I mean, I desire to be able
to make key signatures for my own scales.  For instance, here is a favorite
[...]
Is this possible?

Yes, see:

  http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/input/regression/lily-1122588603.ly

With (cf. example in the above page), if IRC:

    \set Staff.keySignature = #'(((1 .  2) . 1) ((0 . 3) . -1))

                                 octave |    |
                                       note  |
                                           offset in units of quarter-tone

Best,