Re: clarification please of music after or before \score

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: clarification please of music after or before \score
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:25:23 +0100

I think you are confusing things! What we talked about below
is the order within the \score{...} block. If you use variables,
then the only rule is that you have to define a variable before
you use it. If you place your \header{...} block outside the
\score{...}, then it can be anywhere in the file (unless you have
several \book{...} blocks, but I guess there only very few people
who use that).

 /Mats

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

All the examples, I think, in the manual for 2.6.x seem to imply header then music then score If 2.7.x is different will the difference work for 2.6.x too? The message below implies that before 2.6 it was the music last and that it will return to that layout with 2.7+++
yikes.
Jay

From: Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: combining files

What didn't work?

First of all, you can skip the \book command, which is implicitly
added around any LilyPond input file if you don't write it yourself.

Also, within each \score{...}, the music should come before the
\header, \layout and \midi, at least in most versions of LilyPond
(I think it was unintentionally permitted to have the music after
the other fields in some versions (2.6?) but then you'll get into
trouble when you upgrade).

I was glad to see this come along when it did. I had the same problem yesterday.

The snippet in section 10.1.12 of the manual is done exactly as you say; however, I find putting anything in front of the header counterintuitive. Perhaps it would be good to add a note saying that it is picky about having the music come first.

thanks

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems