Another thing for 10.1.2

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Another thing for 10.1.2
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 08:51:11 +1100

Gauvain Pocentek wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
>
>>On 21-Feb-06, at 11:50 PM, Gauvain Pocentek wrote:
>>

>>>#(set-global-staff-size 18) doesn't work at all. Is this a bug, or is
>>>there something I missed?
>>
>>This command should go at the top level -- ie in front of your \book
>>command.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gauvain

Graham, this should probably be mentioned in section 10.1.2 as well.
There are a few of these sorts of things that can be entered at top level.

I'm not sure how to phrase it though, mainly because I'm a little
confused about global parameters and flags that should be entered at top
level and things that should be put inside \paper and \layout blocks.

One example in the docs that might cause a newbie to scratch their head
is in 10.5.4 where this snippet is given:

        #(set-default-paper-size "a7" 'landscape)
        \paper { annotatespacing = ##t }
        { c4 }

It's not clear why the first line is separate to the \paper block, given
that both affect the piece globally. I'm guessing that the \paper block
is syntactic sugar for the more complex scheme expression, but I could
be wrong.

Other examples for this section might include '#(ly:set-option
'point-and-click #f)'

A sample paragraph for the doc might be:

ยท       A direct scheme expression, for example
                #(set-default-paper-size "a7" 'landscape)
        or
                '#(ly:set-option 'point-and-click #f)'

Any thoughts?

Cam