Tremolo positioning

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Tremolo positioning
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:01:16 +1100

I've finally put my finger on what was bothering me about lilypond tremolos -- they are too close to the noteheads.

I think that the tremolo marks shouldn't depend on where the notehead is, but rather on the position of the end of the stem. Also, the stem should be made longer to accomodate the tremolo. For example, if I have doubled eighth notes, the stems should be as long as if they were 16th notes and the tremolo markings should go where the second beams would be if they were 16th notes.

I attach 2 scanned examples, a Schirmer edition of Franck's sonata for violin and piano and a B&H edition of Bartok's solo violin sonata. I also attach lilypond versions of the snippets, just for comparison.

I also have an example (no scan of this) where lilypond makes the stems so short that the tremolo and the notehead overlap. (Sorry for all the images. I've tried to keep them small.)

Joe

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image