Engraved 'look'

From: Leo Trottier
Subject: Engraved 'look'
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 07:30:55 +0000 (UTC)

Apologies if this has already been debated/discussed extensively, but ...

... in my experience with (beautiful) Barenreiter editions a quality that I feel
most striking is the 'old-fashioned' look  -- there are seldom razor sharp
staff-lines (as tend to be produced by laser printers).  Instead, it seems,
minute variations ('imperfections') in print add a warmth ... and it's this
warmth that I feel is most lacking in lilypond output.

Wouldn't it be fairly easy add an 'soft/irregular edge' command to the
typesetting system?

Best,

Leo

PS I don't request this as a feature that I want personally so much as I think
it would be one that could greatly enrich the (already superb) feel of lilypond
output.