Re: Producing postscript for custom paper size (9x12" manuscript paper)?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Producing postscript for custom paper size (9x12" manuscript paper)?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 17:33:47 +0200

John Hawkinson schreef:

Would you prefer to treat it as an option like 'landscape? E.g.:

        #(set-default-paper-size "manuscript" 'manualfeed)

My impression is that this is just an extra option that won't benefit
anyone and would cause confusion, since I don't think anyone would not
want that option.

Sounds like a good solution to me, ie. have all optional boolean settings as boolean args to set-default-paper-size. People can then also use 'manualfeed for any other format of paper that is unlikely to be in a tray.

Is there a reason you don't want to output the /PageSize info?
No, there's not. I'll gladly consider well written patches to deal with arbitrary paper sizes. The relevant code is in paper.scm ; there needs to be variant of

  set-paper-size

which can deal with dimensions, eg. of the form (set-paper-size '((9 . in) (12 . in)) 'landscape)

This is a different problem, and one that seems a little less critical
to solve. It's easy enough for people to edit paper-alist to add new
paper types.

The problem I'm concerned with is once you do that (or if you defined
a set-paper-size that understood dimensions), LilyPond doesn't output
the paper size in the pagedevice dictionary, so printers do not select
the correct size paper.

Well,  I'll consider patches for that too :-)

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com