Re: Helping with the documentation

From: Geoff Horton
Subject: Re: Helping with the documentation
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 08:20:30 -0400

> Unfortunately I do not agree with most of your points. About searching: I
> often use google. With the option site:lilypond.org you can narrow the
> search to that site and by including a version number in the search terms
> you can narrow it down to one version. This method could be used with a wiki
> too.

I think you're missing at least part of my point. I know how to use
Google with a targeted search. The problem is that the amount of text
surrounding a match that Google returns is often insufficient to
determine if it's what I want, whereas scanning through the whole
manual in a browser automatically returns an entire page of context
(if I want it).

> Personally I hate local documentation.

Many people don't have reliable broadband always available.

You have told us about your personal preferences, which is entirely
legitimate. But my personal preferences are that I really, really
don't like using wiki-only documentation.

Geoff