change alignment of Lyric with extender

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: change alignment of Lyric with extender
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:24:20 -0400

[ Lilypond 2.8.1 ]

Hello, all!

I tweak some of the lyrics in my piece(s) to make the note spacing a little more pleasing -- I have even defined some presets, e.g.,

    lyrLH = { \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #-0.5 }
    lyrRH = { \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #0.5 }

which means "align this syllable halfway to left-aligned" and "... right-aligned", respectively.

This is working fabulously, EXCEPT where the lyric has an extender (__), in which case an override like "lyrRH" has no effect (i.e., the syllable remains in the default position, fully left-aligned).

Can anyone tell me how I can override the alignment of an extended syllable?

Thanks,
Kieren.